Fire Extinguisher Safety: P.A.S.S. It On!
A fire extinguisher in your home can help minimize fire damage in your Cape Cod home.
Do you follow safety guidelines and keep a fire extinguisher in your home? If so, are you certain you have the correct type to fight the fire? A fire extinguisher should be kept in your garage, kitchen, and on each floor of your home. Whether you already own one or are about to purchase one, learn about the different types of extinguishers for the application.
Below are the four basic types of extinguishers:
- Class A extinguishers put out fires in ordinary combustibles, such as wood and paper.
- Class B extinguishers should be used on fires involving flammable liquids, such as grease, gasoline, and oil.
- Class C extinguishers are suitable for electrically energized fires.
- Class D extinguishers should be used on flammable metals and are typically specific for the type of metal in question.
Most home fire safety experts recommend medium size, multipurpose fire extinguishers that are labeled as suitable for use on class A, class B, and class C fires.
You and other potential users in your household should thoroughly read the extinguisher’s instructions on a periodic basis. A professional fire equipment supplier should inspect each extinguisher annually.
Only use a fire extinguisher if these four conditions are true:
Often times you’re much better off to let professionals handle any fire. Only use an extinguisher when:
1) the fire is confined to a small area, and is not growing
2) the room is not filled with smoke
3) everyone else has exited the building
4) the fire department has been called.
Remember the P.A.S.S. word!
Most household fire extinguishers operate using the following P.A.S.S. technique:
- PULL: Pull the pin. This will also break the tamper seal.
- AIM: Aim low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or its horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE: Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- SWEEP: Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it appears to be out. Watch the area. If the fire re-ignites, repeat steps 2 - 4.
If you have the slightest doubt about your ability to fight a fire.... EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!
Important! Once the seal on a fire extinguisher has been broken, it must be serviced before the next use!
Appliances; The Unexpected Fire Hazard
Even the most unsuspecting appliance like a computer can cause fire damage in your Cape Cod home.
When thinking of home fire hazards, one might imagine an oven, a furnace, a fireplace, etc. But what about the dishwasher, refrigerator, or even your television? Our Team at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape has seen fire damage caused by many different unsuspecting electronics. Here are a few tips on how to make sure your home appliances are fireproofed:
- Check your power outlets: make sure power outlets aren't drawing too much power. Don't plug several high-current appliances into the same outlet.
- Keep your cords safe: make sure power cords aren't damaged, under furniture, under rugs or excessively tangled with other power cords.
- Use factory recommended chargers and cables: Many third-party phone cables and chargers are prone to overheating and even catching on fire. Check the power needs of your appliances and see if the charging cables you're using operate at the same voltage.
- Keep an eye on heat generating appliances: While its common knowledge to watch over items cooking in the kitchen and space heaters, be sure computers, game consoles and other appliances that give off heat have enough room to properly cool down.
- Make sure your appliances are properly maintained and up to date.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
Even when practicing fire safety properly, be sure to have an exit plan in case of a house fire. Create a designated meeting area for leaving the building and at least two points of exit for every room. If you fall victim to fire damage, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378, we're here to help.
Fire Damage Prevention in Dennis, MA
Fire damage and smoke damage require a professional restoration team.
In the event of a fire or furnace puffback incident, homeowners often try to remediate the damage themselves, causing further destruction to the residence. If your home suffers from a fire or smoke damage, no matter how big or small, seeking help from fire damage restoration professionals is always a smart choice. However, before professionals arrive, there are a few things you can do to prevent permanent damage from occurring.
What to do when fire or smoke damage has occurred in your home:
- Limit movement around the house to prevent the spread of soot
- Place clean linens and towels on rugs and upholstery
- Coat chrome appliances with oil or petroleum jelly
- Keep furniture legs from touching wet carpet by wedging wood blocks or aluminum foil under them
- Refrain from shampooing carpets and upholstery
- Do not wash walls and other painted surfaces
- Do not clean electronic appliances
- Refrain from dry cleaning clothing with smoke odor
Our Team at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod are on call 24/7 for all your fire damage or smoke damage restoration needs. Call us at 508-778-7378 to schedule a free estimate or get emergency cleanup assistance as soon as you need it. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
Have Rodents Moved in to your Chatham Home?
Rodent droppings are a Biohazard and can be a very messy job that is best left to the Professionals at SERVPRO.
Spring fever has officially struck here on Cape Cod. The excitement for nicer, warmer Cape Cod weather is noticeable this time of year. It’s the time of the year when unseasonably warm days have us yearning for the upcoming spring and summer season. However, these oddly warm days are smattered between stretches of freezing temperatures, reminding us of the winter headaches that are still upon us. One such headache are the rodents that have taken up residence in your vacant home over the cold winter months.
Those who return to their Chatham vacation homes often must call an exterminator, as they’ve discovered rodents are living in their basements and crawlspaces. After an exterminator has done their job, there is still a list of biohazards left behind that require attention. Rodent droppings, urine, contaminated insulation and contaminated furniture are all on that list.
If rodents have damaged your basement, attic, crawlspace or any part of your home, call in our Team of professionals at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod. Our state-of-the-art equipment and professional cleaning products will clean and disinfect your home leaving it fresh smelling, non-toxic and ready for Spring & Summer fun!
CALL US TODAY AT 508-778-7378
Smoke Damage: Not as Visible as You’d Think
Smoke damage and soot will cling to every surface in your home and requires proper remediation.
Often times, on smoke removal jobs, the damage done to the residence or commercial building we're working on is worse than it seems to the untrained eye. Cleaning up after a smoky incident isn't just a matter of removing all visible black spots from walls and furniture. Soot from fires or furnace puffbacks often travels to every room in the affected home or building and settles on every surface even if it isn't immediately apparent.
Smoke damage restoration includes:
- Emergency board-up & structural stabilization
- Evaluating materials that may be damaged as a result of smoke or soot particles
- Removing charred contents that may seal in smoke.
- Cleaning, eliminating odors and deodorizing surfaces
If your home or business has had a smoke event, attempting to restore your property yourself can do more harm than good. The aftermath of a fire can be hazardous and cause health problems if it is not taken care of correctly and thoroughly.
Trust the experts at SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod to do the job right. Call us 24/7 at 508-778-7378 for a free smoke removal estimate. From Mashpee to Provincetown, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is here to help with all your water mitigation, fire restoration, storm damage, cleaning, disinfection, and mold remediation needs.
Understanding the Categories of Water Damage
Water damage may look "clean" but may not actually be clean. Only the source will tell.
Just like any other mess, some water related incidents are larger than others. However, it’s not just the size of a water incident that determines how dire the situation is. Water incidents are broken up into three categories of severity. As a home or business owner, it’s important to be aware of these categories so swift and careful action can be taken to restore the property to its pre loss condition.
What kind of water damage emergency are you dealing with?
- Category 1: “Clean Water”. When a clean water supply line (such as a faucet, etc.) breaks or leaks, it is considered a category 1 water emergency. Depending on variables such as temperature and contact with contaminants, a category 1 situation can escalate to a category 2 or 3.
- Category 2: “Gray Water”. When flood water crosses the line into being contaminated and hazardous for human ingestion, it is considered category 2. This could include water from a washer machine, dishwater, etc. However, category 2 isn’t severe enough to include water infested with feces or harmful chemicals. If a category 2 flood is left untreated for long enough, it can develop into a category 3 situation.
- Category 3: “Black Water”. Flood waters that are considered, “grossly unsanitary” fall into category 3. This includes, but is not limited to, water that has started microbial growth, water with feces or natural flood waters from a river/stream. All contact with black water should be avoided and needs professional mitigation. If ingested, black water may cause serious adverse health effects.
If you find yourself in a water damage emergency and you are not sure how severe the damage is or can become, call our Team of professionals. We are available 24/7/365 for all water emergencies, large or small. We will help you identify the severity of the water damage and begin the mitigation process as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is here to help! Call us at 508-778-7378
Water Mitigation in West Yarmouth
Our professional team and state-of-the-art equipment will dry out your home after a water damage emergency quickly & efficiently.
This West Yarmouth home had a major water leakage issue in their bathroom, traveling under the floors all throughout the home. Like many homeowners in the same or similar situation, they noticed oddly warped flooring through the house, indicating a possible water leak seeping under the floors. We had to tear up flooring and undergo extensive water mitigation. Using dehumidifiers, AirMax Air Movers and our own exclusive treatment chemicals, we were able to perform a fast and effective remediation process. To avoid ending up in this scenario, be aware of the tell-tale signs of water leakage:
- Visible mold
- Stains and discolorations on painted surfaces
- Warped flooring
- Dank/musty odors
- Higher than usual water bill, possibly pointing out a leak
From Mashpee to Provincetown, we're on alert 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your water mitigation emergency. If you find yourself in a similar situation, call SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod at 508-778-7378. We are HERE TO HELP!
How SERVPRO will Handle Your Water Damage Emergency in Your Dennis Home
When you find yourself in a water emergency, TRUST our Team to get your life back as quickly as possible. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
Stumbling upon a flooded basement or a water-logged living room carpet is always nerve wracking and surprising. When someone finds themselves in this situation, they’re typically at a loss when it comes to what to do first. With countless reconstruction and restoration companies on Cape Cod, how do you choose the right one when time is of the essence?
What do you want from a restoration company?
When looking for an emergency restoration company, you want one that is:
- quick to arrive
- will restore instead of replacing items in your home
- will get your life back to normal as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod can do all of this and more. Here are some reasons SERVPRO is your one-stop shop for all things water restoration:
We Arrive Faster Than the Rest: Unlike the competition, SERVPRO is ready for your emergency call 24/7. Almost immediately after your call, a full, professional crew will gear up and get ready to take care of your emergency within 24 hours.
We’ll Save You Money Compared to the Reconstruction Companies: Reconstruction companies will keep you waiting for weeks, letting damage set in further, causing more work to be done. The first 24 hours of a water emergency are the most important in terms of properly repairing your property. Also, reconstruction companies will replace nearly everything effected by the water damage. At SERVPRO, we aim to restore damaged items and fixtures rather than replacing them. This saves the customer a great deal of money and helps to make their home look as if the water damage never even happened.
We’ll Get You Back Home ASAP: Our fast response times and efficient cleanup methods will have you back home in no time. We also restore water damaged contents, meaning you don’t have to lose your important belongings after a water disaster. With our advanced contents inventory system, we’ll make sure nothing of importance is forgotten or left behind, making your house feel like a home again.
If your Cape Cod home or business is in need of water restoration, SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod is on alert 24/7 for your needs. Give us a call at 508-778-7378 to set up a free estimate or to get emergency assistance within 24 hours.
Decorate Your Yarmouth Home Safely This Holiday Season
All it takes is a dry tree and an electrical spark to turn your Holidays from magic to tragic.
Did you know that more than 1 out of every 5 Christmas tree fires are caused by the tree being placed too close to a heat source?
Something about Christmas Trees and Holiday lights brings a warm and magical feeling to the Holiday Season. That magic can quickly turn tragic if a fire breaks outs and sets your home and belongings ablaze.
To avoid a fire emergency, follow these Christmas Tree safety tips and enjoy the magic of this Holiday Season safely.
- Make sure your Christmas tree is at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents.
- A dry tree can burn very hot and very fast! Be sure to keep your tree adequately watered.
- Trim the stump at least 2” on freshly cut trees to allow it to absorb the water.
- DO NOT overload light strands or electrical wall sockets.
- Check all light strands for missing bulbs, broken or frayed wires.
- Always turn off tree lights when leaving home or going to bed.
If smoke or fire damage happens in your home, call our Team of professional, highly trained technicians to the rescue. We are available 24/7/365 to help you! Call us at 508-778-7378.
Removing Smoke Odor From Your Dennis Home
Smoke damage in your home may require a professional team to remediate.
Even after the flames of a house fire have long been put out. Smoke damage and odors will continue to linger for quite some time. If not properly treated, smoke odor could persist in your home for years, acting as a constant reminder of an instance you’d rather forget. Everything in your home, from floor to ceiling, absorbs an enormous amount of smoke damage after a fire. Follow these helpful tips for removing smoke damage odors from every surface in your home.
- Baking Soda: Heavily pour baking soda on all carpeting with smoke odors and let it sit for around 12 hours. After the baking soda has had time to settle in, vacuum it up with a hepa filter-equipped vacuum cleaner.
- Steam Cleaning: If baking soda doesn’t do the trick, steam cleaning just might remove the odors. If all else fails, hire a professional mitigation company
- Use a Chemical Sponge: Use a dry-cleaning sponge to wipe away ceiling soot damage. This is an essential step before applying any sort of wet cleaning agent. Use a wiping motion to remove stains rather than using scrubbing motions as this may cause the damage to further set in.
- Air Out the House: Open all windows in the building. Be sure to place fans in all windows to circulate fresh air throughout the home.
- Appliance Cleaning: When it comes to cleaning appliances after they suffer from smoke damage, its highly recommended that you seek a professional service to restore them. If they are self-restored improperly, the damage will likely set in permanently. Many restoration companies, such as SERVPRO, offer contents restoration.
- Documents and Photographs: While not all documents can be saved from smoke damage, there are a few professional options to attempt to restore them. These options include air drying, dehumidification, freezer drying, vacuum freeze drying, and vacuum thermal drying. Again, documents and photographs should not be restored through amateur attempts out of risk of destroying them.
If your home suffers from severe smoke damage and needs professional restoration, trust SERVPRO of Mid-Outer Cape Cod to get the job done right. From Mashpee to Provincetown, SERVPRO is on alert 24/7 for your call. Call us at 508-778-7378 for your smoke and fire damage emergency.